I have been sick the past few days, and not been able to work on the painting which I had hoped to finish by the end of this week. Managed though to work on it a couple of hours today:
Looking at simplification of values and shapes, control of edges and adding color interest the last of which I want to push a bit further than what I have here but not entirely sure of the direction, so I am keeping it for now, I will work on it at a later stage:
This is where I am on it, just the first washes, trying to find my place on it.
I got inspired from photos of roses that I had taken long back, added some elements from imagination and designed a composition with pleasing negative spaces and + shapes. Did some notan studies beforehand to look for the silhoutte. Drew the sketch directly on Arches paper, can’t wait to paint on good paper after having gone so long on sketchbook paper:
This is a study I made, when learning to get around Adobe Photoshop, a long time back. It is loosely based on a photo in a book on roses by John Scarman named Alte Rosen
Tuscany Superb Rose