Video – petal of spent lily

 

 Follow this link to watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYnpPEO8dfM

Enjoy!

Advertisements

lilies – part 3

 

                My son bought me these löwenzahn that he had plucked from the woods. Isn`t he a dear? I don`t encourage him but these aren`t endangered… 

                I take these photos while I`m working and so indoors and even after adjusting contrast the colors look muddied, I just noticed this option in Picasa 3 in Effekte >Shein (Effects > Shine in English?), works like a dream. The colors come pretty close to the original, especially yellows.

              The second and third layers on the petals are new gamboge. The upper petal has raw sienna too.

 

               The right half of the lower petal has a light glaze of mauve to put it in shadow but before that I had put in some translucent orange in the middle area (and left to dry). Translucent orange and phthalo blue mix on the upper petal to slowly start defining the vein pattern there.

 

                   A light glaze of translucent orange (avoiding highlight at the top of right half ), dried and then the orange-mauve mix for deepening the shadows on the upper petal. The same for the right hand petal. Put a little masking fluid on the upper petal of the spent lily for lighter colored veins but I think I like negative painting better.

 

           Leaves – bluish grey highlights with a mix of pthalo blue, mauve and a bit of the brown shadow mix. The yellow is new gamboge mixed with hansa yellow medium.

 

              The left most petal – layers of hansa yellow medium , new gamboge, translucent orange. Dried. It has a very light glaze of mauve even though it doesn`t look so. This puts it in shadow and underneath the first flower; without the mauve it will pop forward. The small leaf at the top – green glaze mixed with hansa yellow medium, pthalo blue and raw sienna. The larger leaf – green mixed with new gamboge and pthalo blue.

lilies – part 2

 

              Here is what I`ve worked on till now: I would have liked the whole flower to be a little more on the warmer side but using hansa yellow medium as the underwash has sort of restricted the color range to here. Of the options I had, Schminke auerolin modern, Winsor and Newton winsor yellow, Daniel Smith nickel titanate yellow(semi transparent) are all on the cool side. DS new gamboge lifts a bit so I didn`t use it in the under washes and S Indian yellow is warmer but also a little less vibrant (less chroma) than new gamboge. In any case, I love working with yellow!!

                   For yellow flowers or any other yellow object  its important to get to the depth of yellow hue (through layers) that you want to reach before adding in the shadows (or other colors) as its difficult to add it later through glazing because other colors so easily overpower yellow.  A bit of raw sienna and translucent orange added here on the unfinished petals towards the right hand side.

       

                 I`ll let the photos do the talking here:

 

              I keep softening the right hand edge of the lower left half of the petal for all layers:

 

              Stamens have a base coat of hansa yellow medium and the anthers have new gamboge. 

 

                  S mauve and translucent orange gives a nice brown for the shadows on the wilted flower. Adding raw sienna to this makes the brown a little intense.

Yellow lily demo

 

                 I was so excited to find this plant, I bought it immediately so that I could paint these delicious looking warm yellow flowers.

 

              The first layer is a wet in wet wash of DS hansa yellow medium which is staining and so good for under washes. It is a cool yellow. I have kept the highlights lighter valued and not completely white.

 

                    The second layer (after the first is completely dry) is the same color strengthened near the base and mid vein.

 

                   In this layer I`ve let flow in DS new gamboge which is warmer than the previous yellow. Also added a little S translucent orange at the base and spine. The shadows and veins are a mix of translucent orange and MG pthalo blue dropped in while the wash is still damp. The right side of the left most petal is of a light value and is a mix of S raw sienna and S translucent orange. The veins here are of the same color but a little darker valued. A bit of negative painting for the other veins here with the green shadow mix. I`ve also added a bit of S mauve for the shadows.

 

              Another clear water wash here after the previous one has dried and the colors strengthened, a light wash of the shadow mix on the right side of the left most petal to soften the veins here. The flower on the right side is spent and the colors a little different. A wash of a mix of raw sienna and new gamboge and a bit of translucent orange, after this has settled a bit, I stroked in new gamboge on the right side.

Finished painting – Peony Dream

 

      Hi everyone! Hope u all had great Easter hols…. I did! Here`s Peony Dream completed: 

 

 

                Continuing with the demo:

 

                   I made two mixtures of green for the leaves. One with varying amounts of DS sap green, MG phthalo blue and S ruby red and another with varying amounts of DS new gamboge, MG phthalo blue and S ruby red. The second one is for shadow areas.