This is a scene before the actual ceremony and its the last one that I am doing in this series.
The charm of the loose style painting lies in that, it leaves room for the viewers’ mind to wander and make things up, there’s a flexibility and freedom of movement that isn’t there in the realistic approach. I had been trying to combine these two styles so that it results in a painting that captures the viewer, at the same time conveys everything that I wish it to convey. I have just drawn in the focus area, Parvathi devi and left the rest of the paper blank so that I don’t go into it with too much detail. However, I did make up a picture on a separate sheet of paper as a guideline.
Here’s the finished painting and a close-up, it ‘s taking me less and less time to finish them …
Here’s a progress photo:
I had layed in a diluted wash of cobalt blue tone + translucent orange as a base tone for the skin. So these are the highlight areas. For the rest of the washes the colors are cobalt blue tone, translucent orange and deep red. Same for the background except there’s also pthalo blue and hookers green. The scene is mostly from imagination.
The next one will be on a happier note, I promise.
I have done only the sketch for now:
Its a cold scene in the forest in moonlight.
Here’s the finished painting and a close up:
The dress has deep red in addition to the previous colors. The background was done wet in wet with the addition of hookers green in the ground area. I kept working on it till it was dry to get in all the details starting with the brown grey for smoke, indian yellow at the core of the flames, orange in the area around that and deep red in places.
Good morning! It feels good to hold a paint brush, to watch the colors flow. I finished this part of the painting yesterday.
These are the colors I have used for the skin tones – Schminke’s indian yellow, permanent karmin, pthalo blue, a bit of translucent orange (centre and bottom right). [The indian yellow is warmer, orangish not like the true primary (neither warm or cool) that you see in the photo.] Mixing the three primaries so that they cancel out each other equally gives a grey or black if not diluted too much. (not in equal quantities because blue and red are stronger valued than yellow and you would need less of them) If this mixture is pushed more towards the blue and red, it gives a violet grey. If it is more towards the yellow and red, it gives a brown (just a bit more red and blue gives a dark brown) A very diluted mixture of yellow, a bit of red and very little of blue is what I start out with for skin tones. If you don’t use blue, it will look very vivid – like a sunburnt skin. [Avoid pushing the mix towards the blue and yellow which will give a greenish grey]
With most of the festivities of the wedding over, I hope to get out my paints and brushes tommorrow. But I have started some work on my next painting. I took this photo with the self timer function, to use as reference.
A little bit of shading on the face while working out the sketch helps to see better if the features are rightly placed and also gives a rough idea of the light source, hightlight and shadow areas.
Hi friends, here’s ‘Beginning of Parvathi’s austerities’ completed.
The poinciana flowers were first painted wet in wet with translucent orange/deep red in the highlight areas and translucent orange+deep red+a little pthalo blue in the shadow areas. Details were added with the same colors while it was still moist and also after it had dried. The leaves are aureolin yellow, pthalo blue, a little orange or red. The back ground colors are the same. Also added hookers green for some variety in the trees.
Good morning everyone, here is where I have reached in my next painting. This is the one that I had at first wanted to do, with lots of trees, flowers and a slight hint of a figure; then I let myself be persuaded to do the whole story. The dress is made of bark; so it looks a bit stiff; one or two more washes to go to make it a dark brown. The skin tones are from indian yellow, permanent karmin and pthalo blue. The mother deer also has translucent orange and burnt sienna in addition but the main color is burnt sienna. (There’s a cute little baby deer beside her if you can see)The dress is of the same colors. I find that applying a base coat of translucent orange makes an area look a little opaque (as I did for the dress). (Schminke’s) Translucent orange is also great to brighten up shadow colors. [Lukas burnt sienna is sedimentary and worked great for this deer]
I didn’t take any progress shots this time. Too many things happening with/in and around me; more than usual. And we have a wedding in the family soon (actually 3 in the next few weeks! its the wedding season), so I wont be posting so much for some time. My son is busy showing my grandma, who’s here visiting, how things work around here! yelling ‘thathamma.. thathamma’, a brand new word for him.